Thursday, November 8, 2012

Doing something out of the ordinary

So I did something a little different this morning, something unexpected... 
I had different plans this morning with not having my son for the day. But with being sick this past week I decided to sleep in wake up grab my books & computer and go take a drive to the city market over in Tosa. a place I haven't been in a while. As I was standing in line looking for the menu that I remembered used to be on the wall, there was no menu! So I asked the woman standing at the register with not a very cheery face on looking like she could smack at me at any moment, "Excuse mam, where is the menu." She just pointed behind me, no smile no kindness, nothing. As I decided what to order I started to tell her what I was gonna have.  She didn't seem happy at all, and she told me the table Id be sitting at when normally you get to pick your table. I asked for wifi and literally as if I had asked her to hand me over all her money!Everything about this woman was not pleasant.

So I go to sit down, and thoughts start coming to my head "wow, that was rude, didn't she ever hear of a game face at work?" and so on! As I sat at my table and caught her in the corner of my eye cleaning tables, a flood of sympathy and love came over me. *NOTE* this does not happen with me often, especially when a person is not being very nice, I tend to gain opinion/judgement pretty quick out of anger...ok so anyways, I'm looking at this woman and my bad thoughts start turning into "Well maybe she's not very pleasant cause she's not very happy, maybe something is going on in her life where all around she just doesn't enjoy life right now, maybe she is hurting, or feels stuck or alone"... So now Im sitting here in this cafe going through a battle with my self and thoughts. So then I think well theres nothing I can do for you, Ill just say a prayer... That should help! 

 And yes, Prayer is a wonderful gift in my opinion, you can do for someone. But this situation got a little heavy on my heart..which isn't usual for me. Normally in our daily lives when we think of going out of our way for someone or doing something nice were thinking of loved ones, our close friends,our kids, etc. Not a complete stranger who on top of it, wasn't a very joyous person... So Im looking at her and feel like a prayer is nice, but then I remembered there were times where I was out shopping or even working, didn't want to smile, felt alone, sad, and Im sure if a complete random act of kindness was taken it would of turned my frown upside down for at least a moment or have been a little reminder that Im not alone, someone cares. 

So whats the first things that pops in my head to do for this grumpy stranger? Flowers.... Yep! I instantly thought of my bringing this lady flowers in front of all these people and her getting offended and swapping them over my head! I thought I cannot do this. This is so off the wall. and what if she is just fine, and looking angered is her look! No, no Im not doing this. well I couldn't deny that I needed to do it. So then I said well seeing how Im not familiar with this side of town, I will go get flowers if ONLY there is a store nearby. I step outside and there is a sendiks grocery store flat in front of my nose pretty much! Im standing in the cold parking lot, holding my books and computer and all I say is "Im really doing this"

I go in and find 3 gorgeous bouquets of fall colors sitting there immediately. For a good deal as well! Walk out go back across the street walk in and find this lady slicing some cake... All I can say is "Excuse me Miss, Please do not take this the wrong way, but I felt you could enjoy some flowers today and just want to wish you a happy day!" That woman looked like someone gave her a million dollars and all she could say was "for me, for me?" The other employees of the cafe started cheering and she said Thankyou so much! I didn't need to hear anything else, I didn't need to know what why or any other reason. I just knew in my heart I needed to do this. So I walked out right away and went on with my day. 

Sometimes we look for the worst in people right off the bat without seeing our own self or going beyond their attitude. Maybe I was completely off and nothing could be wrong for that lady, but all I know is her hidden smile that jumped out and maybe it helping her to smile a little more was well worth it all! When you step out and do something different, you feel good. Not that you need "praise" or anything for it, it's knowing you acknowledged something and took action, going beyond yourself! Your not always gonna want to do it, because you instantly think how ridiculous it may be, but thats usually when your doing something unforgettable and where your heart is in it not your head! 

14 comments:

  1. Sarah, you have such an amazing heart & spirit. For me, if I'm in a funky mood with my tables at work (You know me, I try my hardest not to be.) All it takes is someone asking "I'm fine, how are you?" When i greet them and it usually has me pause and thank them for asking how I am. it's something simple as someone caring or asking how I am to turn my mood around. You probably made that disgruntled servers day/year by that gesture. Applause to you, lady..you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shannon! So beautiful and sweet of you to say! I appreciate your awesome compliments!!

      Delete
  2. That is so kind and amazing of you, I love it. It brought tears to my eyes!
    Thank you for being kind to a stranger, I'm going to try to find a starnger I can pass that along to too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, so much for tweeting my post! I appreciate your sweet and encouraging words!! what a blessing!

      Delete
  3. WOW. I saw Mallory's tweet about this post and am so glad I read it. Thank you for doing that for that lady and set an example for all of us. This was such an inspiration to me today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a big heart you have my dear!! Amazing!! You are a role model for all of us. Great mother figure. Stay sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. We are are called to be this way, and to courageously act upon our thoughts takes courage and more importantly faith!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a wonderful soul. yeaEr

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful heart you have! I enjoyed this story very much and was truly touched.thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awe my lil sweet angel seestore!! I love that you went out of your way to show kindness and love to someone "undeserving" That is exactly how Jesus is to us and exactly how he would want us to treat others andit made me think of the verse, when you've done it to the least of these you have done it unto me. Beautiful act, beautiful girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so awesome. You've taken Jesus to the world!!!!
    There are so many hurting souls out there. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is simply AMAZING!! You seriously brought tears to my eyes! I love what you did for that lady, you did the total opposite that most others(myself included)would not do. I love your blog & your inspiration! God truly does shine through you! I am glad you found my blog cause yours is amazing! I'm excited to be a follow friend & a regular!

    Your new friend,
    Shio :)

    ReplyDelete